Friday, July 9, 2010

Experiments in Color



Colorizing a Grayscale Image

I used a photo I took of the London Eye several years ago to experiment with coloring a grayscale image. I converted the image to grayscale in Camera Raw rather than simply desaturating it, which I think produced better results. I used the Gradient Map tool as reviewed in the book which has a similar effect as a Duotone, but much simpler to accomplish. Also, for some reason I felt it was easier to control the Levels using this method to get the desired balance of shadows, midtones, and highlights. 




Color Scheme Graphic

I used a muted analogous (ranging from violets to reds) color scheme for this image of chocolate madeleines (which I made) on a Japanese-inspired square plate alongside a pink flower (from the ImageSource stock photos provided). I attempted to evoke an delicate and elegant feeling using low-saturation values. The original photo of the madeleine was set against a dark brown background, so I eliminated it entirely and replaced it with a low-saturation, grayish-red hue. I worked with Levels and Hue/Saturation to subdue the darker tones in the photo. The pink flower enhances the softness in the graphic as well as adding a pop of  high-saturation red. I added the swirls using the text tool to mimic the curvatures on the plate and a border to compliment the square shape of the plate. I'm happy with the result, although the flower could appear more integrated into the photo. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment